Searching by Subject
- You can search for specific classes by going to Class Search under Self Service.
- On the Enter Search Criteria page, make sure you select the correct term in which you want to search. You then have a variety of options to find a class that fits your needs. You must fill in at least 2 criteria as well as the campus.
You can search by subject by entering the department subject code in the subject box. It must be entered completely and exactly. If you are not sure of the subject code for the department you want, you can click the Select Subject button to pick from a list. If you know all or part of the 4-digit course catalogue number, you can enter it in the next box.
For example, if you know you want to find all open STAT 0200 classes being offered in the term you've selected, you can fill "STAT" into the subject box, select "is exactly" from the course number drop down box, and type "0200" into the box. You will then need to select the campus you want to take the course on, then click the Search button.
If you know you are looking for a 1000-level Linguistics course, click the select subject button and select "LING Linguistics" from the list. Then, set the drop down box to "begins with" and fill in "1" in the box. Then you can select your campus and click the Search button.
- The search results will be organized by Subject and Catalog number. Open class sections with available seats will have a green circle in the Status column.
You can click the link in the Section column to go to the Details page for that class.
If you are within the planning or enrollment period for a course, you can click “Select” to begin adding it to your shopping cart.
- On the Class Details page, you can see the description of a class, course information, and any notes from the department, in addition to the times the course is offered. At the bottom, can select to add the course to your shopping cart.
- Once you select the course from the search results or details page, you will be taken to the “Add classes” function. You can enter a permission number if needed, or select to be put on the wait list if the class is full. Then click “Next” to add the class to your shopping cart.
- The course will then be added to your shopping cart. From there the process is the same as typical enrollment and you should be able to add the class to your schedule.